Motorcycle Camping Gear

February 25th 2009

In preparation for my motorcycle trip to South Dakota in June, I purchased some lightweight camping gear. I didn't realize it at the time but everything I purchased was from Alps Mountaineering. The 2-person tent is the Zenith model and the setup was extremely easy. It comes with three lightweight poles and is freestanding. There is a door on each side of the tent as well as a large vestibule for storing your gear when you use the cover. All of the reviews have said this is a very well constructed tent and I hope that it will serve its purpose nicely.

The sleeping pad is also from Alps Mountaineering and is the Summit Series (long) which measures 25" x 72" x 2" thick and appears to be very well made. It is a self inflating pad however to get the maximum firmness, I blew into the valve before sealing it. This increased the overall comfort level considerably. I have only tested this out on the hard kitchen floor and it did not bottom out when laying on it. I weigh in at about 150lbs.

As for the sleeping bag, it is the Clearwater bag from Alps Mountaineering. This is available in both left and right zippers so you can zip two together if needed. The bag is rated to +20 degrees and has a polyester fill. It does not pack up as small as a down filled bag but I felt this was a decent bag for the price and couldn't justify the added cost of purchasing a bag that was down filled. I think that a +20 degree bag will be perfect for motorcycle camping conditions. It is a mummy style bag but the size is considered a "long" so it is bigger both in length and width. I will be able to easily fit two sleeping bags and pads into the tent if need be.

For my clothes, I found an inexpensive waterproof luggage bag at a discount sporting goods store. It is made by Weatherproof and has a hard plastic back so it should easily secure to my bike as well without losing its shape. I purchased an inexpensive neoprene laptop case by Microsoft which will be stored in the bag with my clothes. I shouldn't have any problems when I encounter rain. I say when because it is inevitable that I will find rain over the course of the week.

I also plan to purchase a waterproof compression bag to carry my sleeping pad and bag. I have been looking at one from Helen TwoWheels as it is specifically designed for motorcyclists. There are several mounting points to make sure that it is secure to your bike. They also carry bags for your tent and mesh bags for dirty/wet clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment