Garmin GPSMap 60Csx

February 24th 2009

A GPS makes all the difference in the world when traveling. It gives you sense of security because you know that it can tell you exactly where you are at any given time. It is great for creating routes when you want to take specific roads or perfect for when you get "lost" in the ride and need to find your way home. It is important to note that you should carry maps of where you are traveling as well since a GPS is an electronic device and could fail at a very inopportune time.

I purchased the 60Csx from Garmin because I wanted something that was small and could serve many purposes. The 60Csx has a very sensitive receiver that finds satellite signals faster and works better in tough conditions. I plan to use this for hiking, hunting and fishing as well with the available topo and marine maps. It is rugged and waterproof and has a slot for an optional microSD card which allows the use of multiple maps. City Navigator will be the main mapping program as I will use this mostly on my motorcycle. I have purchased a RAM mount for my handlebars as well as a power cable so I don't have to worry about the batteries dying on the road. It does run for hours on 2 AA batteries and you could easily carry extra batteries on a long hike or hunting trip as opposed to other units that have a rechargeable internal battery. I also plan to incorporate its use of tracks into my photos so that I will be able to map exactly where they were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment